What is ISC?
Integrated Strategic Communication offers students professional preparation for careers in the areas of Advertising, Public Relations and Direct Response Communication. Students develop their skills through one of four chosen paths that mirror the functions within persuasive communication agencies. More information about the paths that students can select as well as program requirements is available in the University Bulletin.
The four ISC paths are:
• Account Management
• Creative Advertising
• Public Relations
• Direct Response
Although students focus on a specific area, the major emphasizes a strategic approach to communication initiatives and is designed to build analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as writing and presentation skills.
Each student will work with his or her adviser to select a minor field of study taken outside the college. Popular minors include business, art studio and foreign languages; any minor at the University of Kentucky will fulfill this requirement. Each student will also complete a required internship prior to graduation. (Many ISC majors graduate having completed multiple internships.)
NOTE: All ISC majors must complete at least 80 hours of coursework outside the School of Journalism and Telecommunications; of those 80 hours, 65 must be in liberal arts courses. This is a requirement of the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
What is the ISC portfolio?
All ISC majors are required to submit a portfolio with representative samples of their work as part of their graduation requirement. A pdf of the current portfolio requirements is attached below.
What happens after College?
ISC graduates enjoy highly diverse career destinations, and are sought after by firms specializing in:
• Public Relations
• Media Sales
• Communications Technology
• Event Planning
• Non-profit Organizations
• Regulatory/Consumer Protection Agencies
- portfolio_req_2013_14_w_summer.pdf (940 Download)
- Amazon's German Workers Push For Higher Wages, Union Contract
Amazon has thousands of workers in Germany and many are unhappy that they're classified as lower-paid logistics workers....
- Our Use Of Little Words Can, Uh, Reveal Hidden Interests
When we talk, we focus on the "content" words — the ones that convey information. But the tiny words that tie our...
- Ghanaian Mystery Writer Says, 'It's Easy To Get Murdered In Accra'
And, author Kwei Quartey adds, "The police may not find you for a little while." That's why he chose to set his second...
- A Political Family, Funding And Running On Both Sides Of The Aisle
The wealthy Ricketts family includes conservatives and a liberal, activists and a candidate. Between them, they raise...
- Pretending To Be A Medical Patient Pays Off For This Teen
Gabrielle Nuki hopes to be a doctor someday. So when the 16-year-old found out that she could work as a fake patient...
- Tony Stewart's Return To Racing After Fatal Incident Ends Early
In his first event since his sprint car struck and killed a fellow driver, Stewart slammed the wall twice and settled...
- Showboat Casino Closes After 27 Years On Atlantic City Boardwalk
It was one of three casinos closing within the next two weeks as Atlantic City deals with the impact of increasing...
- Federal Judge Blocks Enforcement Of Louisiana Abortion Law
Lawyers and advocates disagree over whether the judge's order affects doctors at all five abortion clinics in the state...
- PTSD Goes Largely Untreated In Iraq's Kurdish Region
The U.S. military's attention to PTSD is well-documented but Kurdish fighters living with the same disorder haven't...
- Guantanamo Defense Lawyer Resigns, Says U.S. Case Is 'Stacked'
One of the lawyers for self-proclaimed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed resigned from the Army last week. He...
- Coast Guard Calls Off Search For Small Plane That Crashed In Ocean
The apparently unconscious pilot of the single-engine aircraft drifted into restricted airspace over Washington,...
- Corvette-Eating Sinkhole Will Be Filled In, Museum Says
When a gaping hole opened up under a clutch of classic cars at the National Corvette Museum in Kentucky, the disaster...
- Gaza's Shattered Airport, Once A Symbol Of Sovereignty
The sad spectacle of Gaza's bombed-out airport doesn't deter Palestinians from hoping to someday have another airport of...
- Rebels Reportedly Seize Part Of U.S. Embassy Compound In Tripoli
A YouTube video shows a large group of men occupying a building that the U.S. ambassador to Libya says appears to be the...
- Hong Kong Activists Protest China's Control Of Leadership Vote
People in the former British colony are angered that a vote for the territory's next chief executive will be from a list...