What is ISC?
Integrated Strategic Communication offers students professional preparation for careers in the areas of Advertising, Public Relations and Direct Response Communication. Students develop their skills through one of four chosen paths that mirror the functions within persuasive communication agencies. More information about the paths that students can select as well as program requirements is available in the University Bulletin.
The four ISC paths are:
• Account Management
• Creative Advertising
• Public Relations
• Direct Response
Although students focus on a specific area, the major emphasizes a strategic approach to communication initiatives and is designed to build analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as writing and presentation skills.
Each student will work with his or her adviser to select a minor field of study taken outside the college. Popular minors include business, art studio and foreign languages; any minor at the University of Kentucky will fulfill this requirement. Each student will also complete a required internship prior to graduation. (Many ISC majors graduate having completed multiple internships.)
NOTE: All ISC majors must complete at least 80 hours of coursework outside the School of Journalism and Telecommunications; of those 80 hours, 65 must be in liberal arts courses. This is a requirement of the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
What is the ISC portfolio?
All ISC majors are required to submit a portfolio with representative samples of their work as part of their graduation requirement. A pdf of the current portfolio requirements is attached below.
What happens after College?
ISC graduates enjoy highly diverse career destinations, and are sought after by firms specializing in:
• Public Relations
• Media Sales
• Communications Technology
• Event Planning
• Non-profit Organizations
• Regulatory/Consumer Protection Agencies
- portfolio_req_2013_14_w_summer.pdf (1036 Download)
- To Foil Russia's Food Ban, Imported Ingredients Go Incognito
Russia's ban on imported foods hasn't stopped its trendiest restaurants from sourcing top-quality ingredients like...
- NFL Commissioner: 'We Will Get Our House In Order'
Roger Goodell has been embroiled in controversy, over how the league has handled violent off-field episodes of some of...
- A Single Insurer Holds Obamacare's Fate In 2 States
Where have the insurance marketplaces created by the Affordable Care Act struggled the most? The answer lies in...
- His Camera Takes Us To The World 'We Must Preserve'
In the new exhibit "Genesis," the noted photographer Sebastiao Salgado shares his vision of "a kind of state of humanity...
- White House Announces Campaign Against Campus Sexual Assault
In unveiling the "It's On Us" campaign aimed at preventing attacks on college campuses, President Obama said such...
- Alibaba Shares Surge On First Day Of Trading
Shares of the Chinese e-commerce giant opened at $92.70 a share on the New York stock exchange today, making it the...
- Iconic Pabst Beer Brands Sold To Russian Company
Pabst Brewing Co., with its famous Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee and Schlitz labels, is being acquired by Russian brewer...
- How To Get Children To Behave Without Hitting Them
Most parents say they have used corporal punishment. But there's abundant evidence that it doesn't improve behavior over...
- 'Murdersquishing' Them To Death: How Little Bees Take On Enormous Hornets
They are small. They are weak. They are vulnerable. But these little bees take on a humongous predator in the most...
- India's Modi Calls Al-Qaida's Plans For His Country 'Delusional'
The Indian prime minister, in an interview, called his country's Muslims patriots. The remarks are his most forthcoming...
- Debate: Should Schools Embrace The Common Core?
The Common Core has arguably become the most contentious issue in American education. Experts face off over the new...
- Iran's 'Happy' Dancers Receive Suspended Sentences
Seven young Iranians were arrested in May for producing their own version of the Pharrell Williams song "Happy." Iranian...
- Around The World In 8 Hospital Meals
From tasty tempura to gross gruel, hospital meals across the globe vary wildly. Highbrow institutions in China and India...
- Scotland's Vote Could Bring Big Changes To England, Wales, N. Ireland
British Prime Minister David Cameron says now that voters in Scotland have rejected independence, he is committed to...
- Why 'Is Corporal Punishment Abuse?' Is Such A Loaded Question
An NFL star's indictment on child abuse charges has reignited a national debate about parents using corporal punishment....