What is ISC?
Integrated Strategic Communication offers students professional preparation for careers in the areas of Advertising, Public Relations and Direct Response Communication. Students develop their skills through one of four chosen paths that mirror the functions within persuasive communication agencies. More information about the paths that students can select as well as program requirements is available in the University Bulletin.
The four ISC paths are:
• Account Management
• Creative Advertising
• Public Relations
• Direct Response
Although students focus on a specific area, the major emphasizes a strategic approach to communication initiatives and is designed to build analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as writing and presentation skills.
Each student will work with his or her adviser to select a minor field of study taken outside the college. Popular minors include business, art studio and foreign languages; any minor at the University of Kentucky will fulfill this requirement. Each student will also complete a required internship prior to graduation. (Many ISC majors graduate having completed multiple internships.)
NOTE: All ISC majors must complete at least 80 hours of coursework outside the School of Journalism and Telecommunications; of those 80 hours, 65 must be in liberal arts courses. This is a requirement of the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
What is the ISC portfolio?
All ISC majors are required to submit a portfolio with representative samples of their work as part of their graduation requirement. A pdf of the current portfolio requirements is attached below.
What happens after College?
ISC graduates enjoy highly diverse career destinations, and are sought after by firms specializing in:
• Public Relations
• Media Sales
• Communications Technology
• Event Planning
• Non-profit Organizations
• Regulatory/Consumer Protection Agencies
- portfolio_req_2013_14_w_summer.pdf (903 Download)
- Who Are The Protesters Getting Arrested In Ferguson?
The violence at night in Ferguson, Mo., has calmed down for now. However, there have been more than 160 people arrested...
- Contagious Kisses? We Answer Your Questions About Ebola Recovery
Two Americans were released Thursday from an Atlanta hospital after treatment for Ebola. The news has generated a flurry...
- Islamic State 'Beyond Anything We've Seen,' Hagel Says
The secretary of defense says the extremists are well-funded and organized and that he expects them to "regroup and...
- Can Quinoa Take Root On The 'Roof Of The World'?
Quinoa, once a homebody crop, crossed the Atlantic for the first time this century. Now the Food and Agriculture...
- Vision Problems Increase The Risk Of Early Death In Older People
Older people whose visual acuity has slipped by just one letter on the eye chart are more likely to die sooner,...
- European Fighters Take On More Prominent Roles In The Islamic State
The hunt is on to identify the man in the James Foley execution video who speaks with a British accent. An estimated...
- Failed Foley Rescue Reveals Challenges Faced By U.S. Intelligence
Earlier in the summer, a U.S. raid failed to rescue American hostages in Syria, including journalist James Foley, who...
- American Ebola Patients Leave Atlanta Hospital Healthy
Two U.S. missionaries who caught the Ebola virus in Liberia have been discharged from an Atlanta hospital after fully...
- McDonnell Takes The Stand, Founding Defense On Marital Dysfunction
In the corruption trial of Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and his wife, McDonnell took the stand as a witness. Jeff E....
- The Quandary At Jackson Hole: Is It Time To Step Back From Stimulus?
With the economy showing signs of positive momentum, the Federal Reserve is facing familiar questions at its monetary...
- Bank Of America Settles With Feds And States For Record Amount
In the latest fallout from misdeeds leading up to the financial crisis, Bank of America has agreed to a record $16.65...
- Why Ebola Is Making It Harder To Provide Good Health Care
People are afraid to go to the doctor. Clinics have lost staff to the virus. Basic supplies aren't there. Ebola will...
- The Siege Deepens In Eastern Ukraine's Donetsk
There are reports of heavy shelling on the outskirts of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine, as government forces try to take the...
- Israel Unrolls New Series Of Strikes Against Hamas Leadership
An Israeli airstrike killed three Hamas military commanders, who were buried shortly later amid threats that the...
- BREAKING: British Burn Washington ... 2 Centuries Ago
Two hundred years ago this week, invading British troops destroyed the White House and the U.S. Capitol. NPR wasn't...