JAT Internship Assignments
Congratulations on becoming a JAT intern! There are a number of mandatory assignments. Students will not receive a grade for JAT 399 until they are completed.
- Meet with your faculty supervisor
- Keep daily notes and report weekly to your faculty supervisor
- Write a two-page midterm report
- Write a two-page final report
- Submit copies of work you created
- Submit copies of thank-you letters written to on-site supervisors
- Ensure your on-site supervisor completes a final evaluation
- INITIAL MEETING: During the first week of your internship, you MUST meet with your internship supervisor. This may be when you submit your contract.
- Daily Notes/Weekly Report
Students will check with their faculty internship supervisor and agree on a system to make and record notes after every day they spend working on the internship. Once a week, they will e-mail their faculty internship supervisor a summary of their activities for the week and what they learned.
- The weekly email must include a subject line. Ask your faculty supervisor what s/he prefers. It should include the name of the place where you are interning; the number of hours worked that week and the total hours worked to date. That information should be followed by a paragraph summarizing what you did that week. Do not send it as an attachment. The update should be in the body of the email.
Students must keep their daily notes so they will be able to discuss their activities in detail with their faculty internship supervisor as the semester progresses. The internship director may look at the daily notes to monitor the student's internship experience, but students should not submit their notes to the internship director unless asked.
- Mid-Semester Report
Halfway through the semester (after an intern has completed approximately 75 hours), students will present a detailed written report to the faculty internship supervisor. Ask your faculty internship supervisor as to whether this should be by hard copy or by an email attachment.
The mid-semester report will discuss the duties the intern has undertaken, whether the student feels he or she is learning from the activities, and whether the student is making progress toward completing the goals outlined in the internship contract.
Copies of any work the student has created should be included in the report. Journalism majors should put any materials in their electronic portfolios. See the JOU server, PORTFOLIO folder for instructions.
If there are problems with the internship the student should note them so they can be corrected to make the second half of the internship more productive. This report should include information about the student's impression of the working environment where the internship is being completed.
- End-of-Semester Report
This report, which will be due before the end of the last week of classes, will summarize the activities the student has undertaken during the internship with specific reference to what the student did, what the student learned, how the internship has affected the student's interest in a career in the field, and what it was like to work at the internship site. Ask your faculty internship supervisor whether to submit a hard copy or e-mail attachment.
Copies of any materials created by the students that were not submitted during the mid-semester report should be attached to this end-of-semester report. Journalism majors should enter any materials into their electronic portfolios.
The faculty internship supervisor will request the internship site supervisor to complete an evaluation of the intern’s work. Interns should remind their supervisors to complete the form in a timely manner.
- Thank You letter
All interns must write a thank you letter to the internship site supervisor. The letter can be brief, but students should say what they got out of the internship and how it will help them in their careers. Be sure to use proper business form for your letter. Here is a sample business letter to show you the right form. You must submit a copy of the thank you letter to your faculty internship supervisor.
- Sample thank-you letter
(This is just to show you the form; you must use your own words)
222 Maple Street
Lexington, KY 40506
August 1, 2014
Ms. Mary Jones
1150 Main Street
Lexington, KY 40505
Dear Ms. Jones:
I wanted to thank you for the excellent internship which I completed at Universe Communications during the fall semester.
I learned some very important skills and have a good idea now what it will be like to have a career in advertising. Your employees could not have been more helpful and encouraging. I very much appreciated the time they spent working with me.
As I mentioned to you, I will be graduating in May. I plan to keep in touch and look forward to talking with you about the possibility of working at Universe when I finish school.
Thank you again.
- Details Emerge About Washington State High School Shooting
Students of Marysville-Pilchuck High School describe a desperate scene — and in at least one case, a teacher is being...
- Health Care Worker Tests Negative For Ebola In NJ, Stays In Quarantine
The woman was isolated Friday as she returned from treating Ebola patients in West Africa. She had no symptoms of the...
- Ebola Vaccine Tester Feels A 'Real Satisfaction'
Peter Hubbard is one of 20 volunteers in a human safety test of an experimental Ebola vaccine. He tells NPR's Scott...
- Turkey Is A 'High-Maintenance Ally' In Fight With ISIS
How strong is the U.S.-Turkey alliance against the Islamic State? NPR's Scott Simon speaks with former U.S. Ambassador...
- New Mandatory Quarantines May Drive Away Ebola Volunteers
New York and New Jersey will require a 21-day quarantine for those who had contact with Ebola victims in West Africa....
- A Diary Of Deaths Reminds Doctor Of Life
In everyday medical care, the practice of reflection is too often overlooked. Remembrance is what makes us human....
- Ballot Questions Draw Voters In 43 States
Ballot measures cover a lot of ground this year — from minimum wage to school calendars to one involving doughnuts and...
- Line Between Islamists And ISIS Blurs In Egypt
Among more extreme Islamists, sympathies for the so-called Islamic State are growing — especially in Egypt, where some...
- Ebola Toll Continues Its Climb, With 10,000-Plus Sickened
The U.N. health agency said Saturday that the number of confirmed, probable and suspected cases of Ebola has risen to...
- Tech Week: Voice Mail Hang-Ups, Apple Pay And Zuckerberg's Chinese
In this week's roundup, Apple rolls out its mobile payment system but confronts a security test in China, the problem...
- Tracing A Gin-Soaked Trail In London
Around the world, new gin distilleries are popping up like mushrooms after a rain. NPR traces the boom to its historic...
- Royals Hang On For 3-2 Win To Take Lead In World Series
Following two high-scoring games in Kansas City, Game 3 of the World Series turned into a bit more of a pitcher's duel...
- No Quick Fixes For Drivers Affected By Air Bag Recall
The massive auto recall announced this week is different from most. It affects more than one-third of air bags on the...
- New York, New Jersey Will Quarantine All Travelers With Ebola Contact
The announcement follows the positive Ebola test that came back Thursday night for Dr. Craig Spencer, who recently had...
- For The Midterm Elections, A Book On 'What It Takes' To Win
The midterm elections are less than two weeks away. Writer Michael Schaub recommends a book that explores what it's like...