JAT Internship Assignments
Congratulations on becoming a JAT intern! There are a number of mandatory assignments. Students will not receive a grade for JAT 399 until they are completed.
- Meet with your faculty supervisor
- Keep daily notes and report weekly to your faculty supervisor
- Write a two-page midterm report
- Write a two-page final report
- Submit copies of work you created
- Submit copies of thank-you letters written to on-site supervisors
- Ensure your on-site supervisor completes a final evaluation
- INITIAL MEETING: During the first week of your internship, you MUST meet with your internship supervisor. This may be when you submit your contract.
- Daily Notes/Weekly Report
Students will check with their faculty internship supervisor and agree on a system to make and record notes after every day they spend working on the internship. Once a week, they will e-mail their faculty internship supervisor a summary of their activities for the week and what they learned.
- The weekly email must include a subject line. Ask your faculty supervisor what s/he prefers. It should include the name of the place where you are interning; the number of hours worked that week and the total hours worked to date. That information should be followed by a paragraph summarizing what you did that week. Do not send it as an attachment. The update should be in the body of the email.
Students must keep their daily notes so they will be able to discuss their activities in detail with their faculty internship supervisor as the semester progresses. The internship director may look at the daily notes to monitor the student's internship experience, but students should not submit their notes to the internship director unless asked.
- Mid-Semester Report
Halfway through the semester (after an intern has completed approximately 75 hours), students will present a detailed written report to the faculty internship supervisor. Ask your faculty internship supervisor as to whether this should be by hard copy or by an email attachment.
The mid-semester report will discuss the duties the intern has undertaken, whether the student feels he or she is learning from the activities, and whether the student is making progress toward completing the goals outlined in the internship contract.
Copies of any work the student has created should be included in the report. Journalism majors should put any materials in their electronic portfolios. See the JOU server, PORTFOLIO folder for instructions.
If there are problems with the internship the student should note them so they can be corrected to make the second half of the internship more productive. This report should include information about the student's impression of the working environment where the internship is being completed.
- End-of-Semester Report
This report, which will be due before the end of the last week of classes, will summarize the activities the student has undertaken during the internship with specific reference to what the student did, what the student learned, how the internship has affected the student's interest in a career in the field, and what it was like to work at the internship site. Ask your faculty internship supervisor whether to submit a hard copy or e-mail attachment.
Copies of any materials created by the students that were not submitted during the mid-semester report should be attached to this end-of-semester report. Journalism majors should enter any materials into their electronic portfolios.
The faculty internship supervisor will request the internship site supervisor to complete an evaluation of the intern’s work. Interns should remind their supervisors to complete the form in a timely manner.
- Thank You letter
All interns must write a thank you letter to the internship site supervisor. The letter can be brief, but students should say what they got out of the internship and how it will help them in their careers. Be sure to use proper business form for your letter. Here is a sample business letter to show you the right form. You must submit a copy of the thank you letter to your faculty internship supervisor.
- Sample thank-you letter
(This is just to show you the form; you must use your own words)
222 Maple Street
Lexington, KY 40506
August 1, 2014
Ms. Mary Jones
1150 Main Street
Lexington, KY 40505
Dear Ms. Jones:
I wanted to thank you for the excellent internship which I completed at Universe Communications during the fall semester.
I learned some very important skills and have a good idea now what it will be like to have a career in advertising. Your employees could not have been more helpful and encouraging. I very much appreciated the time they spent working with me.
As I mentioned to you, I will be graduating in May. I plan to keep in touch and look forward to talking with you about the possibility of working at Universe when I finish school.
Thank you again.
- After Just Two Years, Huge Atlantic City Casino Shuts Down
It cost $2.4 billion to build the Revel Casino Hotel. Its closure is part of a trend that will reportedly shutter a...
- Sharing Risk Can Help Tame The Cost Of Infertility Treatment
Although some insurance plans are expanding coverage for infertility treatments, most coverage remains skimpy....
- 32 Teens Escape From Nashville-Area Detention Center
By early morning, 17 were still on the loose. The teens escaped after they found a weak spot in the center's perimeter...
- The Politics Of Calling In Sick
A growing grass-roots movement aims to establish paid sick leave in the U.S., enjoying some success at the city and...
- Targeting Al-Shabab Leadership, U.S. Launches Airstrikes In Somalia
The Pentagon said it was still "assessing the results of the operation." Local Somali officials said the U.S. airstrikes...
- What's In A Name? Former Arthur Andersen Employees Spell It Out
A company called WTAS is reviving the defunct accounting firm's name and hoping clients have forgotten its associations...
- Detroit Bankruptcy Battle Begins In Federal Court
The city's plan to restructure its debt has been praised as a creative way to protect both pensioners and its art...
- As The U.S. Draws Down, Afghan Fighting Is Heating Up
U.S. combat troops will be gone by year's end and Afghanistan is still trying to sort out its presidential election. The...
- Eric Cantor Joins Wall Street Investment Bank
Former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor is joining the boutique investment bank Moelis & Co. The Virginia Republican...
- FBI, Apple Investigate Claims Nude Celebrity Photos Posted Online
The FBI is looking into allegations that online accounts of several celebrities had been hacked. Apple says it is...
- U.S. Military Forces Targeted Extremist Network In Somalia
A day after an Islamic-extremist group launched an attack in Somalia, U.S. military forces have struck back. A Pentagon...
- NATO To Create New 'Spearhead' Force For Eastern Europe
NATO leaders are expected this week to set up a rapid-response force to defend against potential Russian aggression. ...
- Analyst: Response To Russian Incursion Will Be 'Defining Moment' For NATO
President Obama heads to Europe this week to take part in the NATO summit. The alliance is weighing how to respond to...
- Economic Impact Of Ebola Crisis Spreads Across Africa
Ebola has exposed weaknesses in Africa's health networks and a failure to work together to arrest the spread of the...
- 40 Years After 'Working,' A View From The Driver's Seat
Four decades after Studs Terkel's famous collection of oral histories was published, Radio Diaries revives one of his...