JAT Internship Assignments
Congratulations on becoming a JAT intern! There are a number of mandatory assignments. Students will not receive a grade for JAT 399 until they are completed.
- Meet with your faculty supervisor
- Keep daily notes and report weekly to your faculty supervisor
- Write a two-page midterm report
- Write a two-page final report
- Submit copies of work you created
- Submit copies of thank-you letters written to on-site supervisors
- Ensure your on-site supervisor completes a final evaluation
- INITIAL MEETING: During the first week of your internship, you MUST meet with your internship supervisor. This may be when you submit your contract.
- Daily Notes/Weekly Report
Students will check with their faculty internship supervisor and agree on a system to make and record notes after every day they spend working on the internship. Once a week, they will e-mail their faculty internship supervisor a summary of their activities for the week and what they learned.
- The weekly email must include a subject line. Ask your faculty supervisor what s/he prefers. It should include the name of the place where you are interning; the number of hours worked that week and the total hours worked to date. That information should be followed by a paragraph summarizing what you did that week. Do not send it as an attachment. The update should be in the body of the email.
Students must keep their daily notes so they will be able to discuss their activities in detail with their faculty internship supervisor as the semester progresses. The internship director may look at the daily notes to monitor the student's internship experience, but students should not submit their notes to the internship director unless asked.
- Mid-Semester Report
Halfway through the semester (after an intern has completed approximately 75 hours), students will present a detailed written report to the faculty internship supervisor. Ask your faculty internship supervisor as to whether this should be by hard copy or by an email attachment.
The mid-semester report will discuss the duties the intern has undertaken, whether the student feels he or she is learning from the activities, and whether the student is making progress toward completing the goals outlined in the internship contract.
Copies of any work the student has created should be included in the report. Journalism majors should put any materials in their electronic portfolios. See the JOU server, PORTFOLIO folder for instructions.
If there are problems with the internship the student should note them so they can be corrected to make the second half of the internship more productive. This report should include information about the student's impression of the working environment where the internship is being completed.
- End-of-Semester Report
This report, which will be due before the end of the last week of classes, will summarize the activities the student has undertaken during the internship with specific reference to what the student did, what the student learned, how the internship has affected the student's interest in a career in the field, and what it was like to work at the internship site. Ask your faculty internship supervisor whether to submit a hard copy or e-mail attachment.
Copies of any materials created by the students that were not submitted during the mid-semester report should be attached to this end-of-semester report. Journalism majors should enter any materials into their electronic portfolios.
The faculty internship supervisor will request the internship site supervisor to complete an evaluation of the intern’s work. Interns should remind their supervisors to complete the form in a timely manner.
- Thank You letter
All interns must write a thank you letter to the internship site supervisor. The letter can be brief, but students should say what they got out of the internship and how it will help them in their careers. Be sure to use proper business form for your letter. Here is a sample business letter to show you the right form. You must submit a copy of the thank you letter to your faculty internship supervisor.
- Sample thank-you letter
(This is just to show you the form; you must use your own words)
222 Maple Street
Lexington, KY 40506
August 1, 2014
Ms. Mary Jones
1150 Main Street
Lexington, KY 40505
Dear Ms. Jones:
I wanted to thank you for the excellent internship which I completed at Universe Communications during the fall semester.
I learned some very important skills and have a good idea now what it will be like to have a career in advertising. Your employees could not have been more helpful and encouraging. I very much appreciated the time they spent working with me.
As I mentioned to you, I will be graduating in May. I plan to keep in touch and look forward to talking with you about the possibility of working at Universe when I finish school.
Thank you again.
- Moving Past The Password, But At What Cost?
Apps working with a new Twitter service would simply ask for your phone number instead of a password. In exchange, the...
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Comes Out As Gay
The head of the world's most iconic technology company says that although his sexual orientation has been no secret...
- Navajo Nation Presidential Candidate Suspends Campaign
After the latest in a flurry of decisions on whether his lack of fluency in the Navajo language disqualifies him from...
- VIDEO: You Don't Know Jack-O'-Lanterns
Explore the guts and glory of pumpkin science with Skunk Bear's latest video.
- Angry Mob Sets Fire To Parliament In Burkina Faso
Angered at an impending vote to allow President Blaise Compaore to extend his 27-year-old rule, protesters also...
- Tunisia's Secularists Victorious In Parliamentary Vote
The Nidda Tounes (Tunisia Calls) party won just under 40 percent of the seats, beating out the ruling Islamist Ennahda...
- In EU, Google Faces Next Chapter With New Competition Chief
A new commissioner takes over the case on Nov. 1 and that has many wondering what that means for Google and its...
- Keep On Drillin'? Santa Barbara Prepares To Vote On Oil Future
Measure P in California's Santa Barbara County asks voters to ban controversial oil and gas drilling methods such as...
- With Limited Gains, U.S. Bombing Campaign Faces Growing Criticism
U.S. airstrikes against the Islamic State began nearly three months ago, yet there have been relatively few changes on...
- World Series: Madison Bumgarner Carries Giants To 3rd Title In 5 Years
Madison Bumgarner won Game 1 of this World Series, throwing seven innings and giving up on run. He won Game 5, with a...
- WATCH: On Sandy Anniversary, Gov. Chris Christie Faces Off With Heckler
Christie, known for fierce confrontations with detractors, finished this particular exchange by saying, "Sit down and...
- Inventor Of 'Operation' Game Says He Can't Afford His Own Operation
John Spinello missed out on a lot of money, because he sold his patent for the legendary game for just $500. Over the...
- FTC Says AT&T Misled Customers About 'Unlimited' Data Plans
The Federal Trade Commission says AT&T slowed data speeds for 3.5 million customers, sometimes up to 90 percent.
- Close To 100,000 Hungarian Demonstrators Protest Internet Usage Tax
Critics of the tax said this is a government attempt to create a "digital iron curtain" around Hungary. The government...
- As Infrastructure Crumbles, Trillions Of Gallons Of Water Lost
The nation's aging pipes and water mains are springing expensive leaks, wasting more than 2 trillion gallons of drinking...