JAT Internship Assignments
Congratulations on becoming a JAT intern! There are a number of mandatory assignments. Students will not receive a grade for JAT 399 until they are completed.
- Meet with your faculty supervisor
- Keep daily notes and report weekly to your faculty supervisor
- Write a two-page midterm report
- Write a two-page final report
- Submit copies of work you created
- Submit copies of thank-you letters written to on-site supervisors
- Ensure your on-site supervisor completes a final evaluation
- INITIAL MEETING: During the first week of your internship, you MUST meet with your internship supervisor. This may be when you submit your contract.
- Daily Notes/Weekly Report
Students will check with their faculty internship supervisor and agree on a system to make and record notes after every day they spend working on the internship. Once a week, they will e-mail their faculty internship supervisor a summary of their activities for the week and what they learned.
- The weekly email must include a subject line. Ask your faculty supervisor what s/he prefers. It should include the name of the place where you are interning; the number of hours worked that week and the total hours worked to date. That information should be followed by a paragraph summarizing what you did that week. Do not send it as an attachment. The update should be in the body of the email.
Students must keep their daily notes so they will be able to discuss their activities in detail with their faculty internship supervisor as the semester progresses. The internship director may look at the daily notes to monitor the student's internship experience, but students should not submit their notes to the internship director unless asked.
- Mid-Semester Report
Halfway through the semester (after an intern has completed approximately 75 hours), students will present a detailed written report to the faculty internship supervisor. Ask your faculty internship supervisor as to whether this should be by hard copy or by an email attachment.
The mid-semester report will discuss the duties the intern has undertaken, whether the student feels he or she is learning from the activities, and whether the student is making progress toward completing the goals outlined in the internship contract.
Copies of any work the student has created should be included in the report. Journalism majors should put any materials in their electronic portfolios. See the JOU server, PORTFOLIO folder for instructions.
If there are problems with the internship the student should note them so they can be corrected to make the second half of the internship more productive. This report should include information about the student's impression of the working environment where the internship is being completed.
- End-of-Semester Report
This report, which will be due before the end of the last week of classes, will summarize the activities the student has undertaken during the internship with specific reference to what the student did, what the student learned, how the internship has affected the student's interest in a career in the field, and what it was like to work at the internship site. Ask your faculty internship supervisor whether to submit a hard copy or e-mail attachment.
Copies of any materials created by the students that were not submitted during the mid-semester report should be attached to this end-of-semester report. Journalism majors should enter any materials into their electronic portfolios.
The faculty internship supervisor will request the internship site supervisor to complete an evaluation of the intern’s work. Interns should remind their supervisors to complete the form in a timely manner.
- Thank You letter
All interns must write a thank you letter to the internship site supervisor. The letter can be brief, but students should say what they got out of the internship and how it will help them in their careers. Be sure to use proper business form for your letter. Here is a sample business letter to show you the right form. You must submit a copy of the thank you letter to your faculty internship supervisor.
- Sample thank-you letter
(This is just to show you the form; you must use your own words)
222 Maple Street
Lexington, KY 40506
August 1, 2014
Ms. Mary Jones
1150 Main Street
Lexington, KY 40505
Dear Ms. Jones:
I wanted to thank you for the excellent internship which I completed at Universe Communications during the fall semester.
I learned some very important skills and have a good idea now what it will be like to have a career in advertising. Your employees could not have been more helpful and encouraging. I very much appreciated the time they spent working with me.
As I mentioned to you, I will be graduating in May. I plan to keep in touch and look forward to talking with you about the possibility of working at Universe when I finish school.
Thank you again.
- Airstrikes Move To Syria, Target More Than Just ISIS
The strikes, supported by five Arab nations, are a major escalation in the campaign and hit other extremists groups...
- Seeking Frugal Tech Solutions For Nairobi's Jammed Traffic
Traffic in major cities in the developing world can be a mind-numbing mess. A team at IBM in Kenya's capitol thinks it's...
- Ebola's Toll: Farmers Aren't Farming, Traders Aren't Trading
Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone were just starting to see economic progress after years of conflict. The blow of Ebola,...
- Death Cuts Short The Life Of An Alzheimer's Research Volunteer
Justin McCowan wanted to help find a cure for Alzheimer's because it's more common in people like him who have Down...
- As Run-Ins Rise, Police Take Crash Courses On Handling Mentally Ill
As the availability of mental health services has declined, many police departments have trained Crisis Intervention...
- Germany's New Economy Minister Takes Aim At Arms Exports
The nation is the world's third-largest arms exporter, and many weapons go to countries with questionable human rights...
- Avoid The Rush! Some ERs Are Taking Appointments
Nobody looks forward to sitting in the waiting room. So some hospitals are trying to improve customer satisfaction by...
- U.S., Allies Hit Islamic State Targets In Syria, Pentagon Says
The Pentagon said it had used fighter, bomber and Tomahawk missiles during the mission launched on Monday.
- French Citizen Is Kidnapped In Algeria By Islamist Splinter Group
The man was captured just hours after the Islamic State called on its followers to launch attacks against French...
- Treasury Announces New Steps To Reduce Corporate Tax Dodges
The Treasury said corporations were increasingly moving their parent companies overseas to dodge U.S. taxes. The...
- Why Did Congress Kick The Can On Funding Islamic State Mission?
The president got approval for his plan to train and equip Syrian opposition fighters, but lawmakers didn't approve...
- Giving Chickens Bacteria ... To Keep Them Antibiotic-Free
What does it take to get chickens off antibiotics? According to Perdue Farms, an added dose of the "good bacteria" known...
- With Dark Humor, Anger And Empathy, Women Respond To The NFL
Women, who make up 45 percent of the NFL's fan base, are critical the league's handling of domestic abuse scandals. But...
- Why A Teenage Mom Was Jailed In El Salvador After A Stillbirth
Christina Quintanilla faced up to 50 years in prison after an anonymous hospital worker accused her of having an...
- Prosecutor Says White House Intruder Had 800 Rounds Of Ammunition In Car
Omar J. Gonzales, 42, jumped a fence and made it past the White House's North Portico doors before being apprehended by...