JAT Internship Assignments
Congratulations on becoming a JAT intern! There are a number of mandatory assignments. Students will not receive a grade for JAT 399 until they are completed.
- Meet with your faculty supervisor
- Keep daily notes and report weekly to your faculty supervisor
- Write a two-page midterm report
- Write a two-page final report
- Submit copies of work you created
- Submit copies of thank-you letters written to on-site supervisors
- Ensure your on-site supervisor completes a final evaluation
- INITIAL MEETING: During the first week of your internship, you MUST meet with your internship supervisor. This may be when you submit your contract.
- Daily Notes/Weekly Report
Students will check with their faculty internship supervisor and agree on a system to make and record notes after every day they spend working on the internship. Once a week, they will e-mail their faculty internship supervisor a summary of their activities for the week and what they learned.
- The weekly email must include a subject line. Ask your faculty supervisor what s/he prefers. It should include the name of the place where you are interning; the number of hours worked that week and the total hours worked to date. That information should be followed by a paragraph summarizing what you did that week. Do not send it as an attachment. The update should be in the body of the email.
Students must keep their daily notes so they will be able to discuss their activities in detail with their faculty internship supervisor as the semester progresses. The internship director may look at the daily notes to monitor the student's internship experience, but students should not submit their notes to the internship director unless asked.
- Mid-Semester Report
Halfway through the semester (after an intern has completed approximately 75 hours), students will present a detailed written report to the faculty internship supervisor. Ask your faculty internship supervisor as to whether this should be by hard copy or by an email attachment.
The mid-semester report will discuss the duties the intern has undertaken, whether the student feels he or she is learning from the activities, and whether the student is making progress toward completing the goals outlined in the internship contract.
Copies of any work the student has created should be included in the report. Journalism majors should put any materials in their electronic portfolios. See the JOU server, PORTFOLIO folder for instructions.
If there are problems with the internship the student should note them so they can be corrected to make the second half of the internship more productive. This report should include information about the student's impression of the working environment where the internship is being completed.
- End-of-Semester Report
This report, which will be due before the end of the last week of classes, will summarize the activities the student has undertaken during the internship with specific reference to what the student did, what the student learned, how the internship has affected the student's interest in a career in the field, and what it was like to work at the internship site. Ask your faculty internship supervisor whether to submit a hard copy or e-mail attachment.
Copies of any materials created by the students that were not submitted during the mid-semester report should be attached to this end-of-semester report. Journalism majors should enter any materials into their electronic portfolios.
The faculty internship supervisor will request the internship site supervisor to complete an evaluation of the intern’s work. Interns should remind their supervisors to complete the form in a timely manner.
- Thank You letter
All interns must write a thank you letter to the internship site supervisor. The letter can be brief, but students should say what they got out of the internship and how it will help them in their careers. Be sure to use proper business form for your letter. Here is a sample business letter to show you the right form. You must submit a copy of the thank you letter to your faculty internship supervisor.
- Sample thank-you letter
(This is just to show you the form; you must use your own words)
222 Maple Street
Lexington, KY 40506
August 1, 2014
Ms. Mary Jones
1150 Main Street
Lexington, KY 40505
Dear Ms. Jones:
I wanted to thank you for the excellent internship which I completed at Universe Communications during the fall semester.
I learned some very important skills and have a good idea now what it will be like to have a career in advertising. Your employees could not have been more helpful and encouraging. I very much appreciated the time they spent working with me.
As I mentioned to you, I will be graduating in May. I plan to keep in touch and look forward to talking with you about the possibility of working at Universe when I finish school.
Thank you again.
- Plane Of Good Samaritans: Why Fly To (And From) West Africa
On the plane to Monrovia, our NPR correspondent saw the best of human nature in the passengers on board. Almost all of...
- Nepal Ends Rescue Efforts After Deadly Avalanches In Himalayas
Locals and international tourists are among at least 39 people known to have died in blizzards and avalanches throughout...
- Indiana Officials Say Man Has Led Them To Multiple Bodies
The suspect in custody confessed to one murder and subsequently led police to six other corpses in northwestern...
- Sweden's Sub Hunt Evokes Cold War Memories
Stockholm has a grainy photo of what it says shows "foreign underwater activity" in an incident eerily similar to the...
- In The Big Easy, Food Vendors Create A Little Honduras
Thanks to a quirk of history, New Orleans has long had a Honduran population, but it exploded post-Katrina. Nearly a...
- Hong Kong Leader Blames 'External Forces' For Joining Protests
Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying, who student activists have demanded step down, says "different countries in different...
- Latest Developments In The Ebola Story
The family of the first patient to be diagnosed in the U.S. with the deadly disease ends a 21-day observation period...
- Turkey Says It's Helping Iraqi Kurds Join Fight For Kobani
The remarks by the country's foreign minister could signal a shift in Ankara's largely neutral stance on the conflict at...
- Will Apple's Mobile Wallet Replace Your Leather Wallet?
Many have tried and failed with this kind of payment option before. But Apple's launch is bigger, with more financial...
- Turf Shifts In Culture Wars As Support For Gay Marriage Rises
Campaigning against gay marriage used to help Republicans win elections — but now GOP candidates in tight races are...
- Ebola In Church: A Reverend's Quarantine Spreads The Word
There's one place in Monrovia where people continue to gather together despite the threat of Ebola: Sunday church...
- Halting Schizophrenia Before It Starts
Schizophrenia typically starts in the late teens or early 20s. But if you could stop that first psychotic break, could...
- The Look Of Power: How Women Have Dressed For Success
Just as women were entering the corporate workplace in big numbers, the shapeless power suit emerged. Over time, the...
- U.S. Airdrops Weapons, Ammo, Medical Supplies To Kurds In Kobani
In an effort assist Kurdish forces in the Syrian border town, the U.S. military said Sunday the dropped supplies were...
- The Boston Herald's Missed 'Cartoongate' Lessons
The newspaper's heartfelt column about a political cartoon that was widely criticized as racist raises a question: Did...